“I love you.”
Only three little words, just three syllables, a mere eight letters–but boy, do those words have the power to melt our hearts and turn a previously crummy day into a glorious re-awakening.
But let’s face it–most of us probably aren’t going to hear those words every day (and if you’re one of the lucky ones who does, I don’t want to hear about it!) because they’re not always the easiest words to say. That’s okay, though, for there are many other little phrases that can make our knees wobble, our hearts leap, and our toes tingle.
So, here are just a few of the phrases that are sweet, sweet music to MY ears:
- All you can eat.
- It’s benign.
- Have you lost weight?
- Your income tax refund is …
- Wow, you haven’t changed a bit!
- Mom, I’m home.
- I’m buying.
- You have such great kids.
- You were a fantastic teacher!
- He came through surgery, and he’s going to be okay.
- I love your new hairstyle–it makes you look 10 years younger!
- There’s no waiting on aisle 5.
- You’re right, and I’m wrong.
And now for a few phrases that I’m still anxiously waiting to hear:
- These new Ding Dongs have zero fat grams, zero calories, and they taste even better than the originals! And we’re shipping you a lifetime’s supply!
- We’re finally going to start paying you what you think you’re worth!
- Honey, I’ve got supper on the table and your favorite dessert in the oven. I’ve finished the laundry (and folded it and put it away), cleaned the house, fed the animals, watered all your plants, and paid all the bills. You just sit down and relax while I pour you a drink.
- You’re so cool. When I grow up, I want to be just like you!
- I saw your ad for free kittens. Can I take them all?
- I’m calling from Random House, and we’d like to fly you to New York to sign a lucrative book deal. Would tomorrow be good for you?
- Brad Pitt just dumped that Angie woman and wants to know if you’re free for dinner.
- That dress is smokin’! It fits you perfectly, it matches your eyes, and it’s 80% off the original price! Would you like the shoes to match (they’re on sale, too!)?
- Enjoy your retirement!
- We’re from the Prize Patrol and …
- Oprah and Ellen think you’re funny.
- The President is on Line 1, and he’d like your opinion on several topics of national interest. Can I put him through, or do you need me to take a message?
- Your personal trainer arrives tomorrow. Martha Stewart has graciously volunteered to be your housekeeper and interior decorator for the next year, and Curtis Stone will be preparing all your meals. There’s just one thing–Curtis prefers to cook in the nude; will there be a problem with that?
Yeah, I know, I’ve got a long wait ahead of me.